View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Hello all---

Crowded House is my all-time favorite band, so I’m pretty excited about former CH singer Neil Finn’s upcoming solo album. I’m also a Springsteen and Rosanne Cash fan, so their new albums have my attention, too.

But the prospect of Christine rejoining the band and a new Fleetwood Mac record featuring the RUMOURS line-up takes the cake. It’s hard not to have unreasonably high expectations for this project.

While a tour would be nice, an album is the main thing for me. Concerts come and go and are mostly forgotten. Rarely are concerts by rock bands works of art. Entertaining? Sure. Moving? Absolutely. Memorable? Often. Art? Not usually. Albums are art, and I truly think these band members have at least one more great work in them, collectively.

The key, I think, will be Lindsey and Christine working together and balancing each other. Stevie will always be Stevie---she’ll bring in at least one great song and probably a few other very good ones. Mick and John will continue to be one of the best rhythm sections in rock history. If Lindsey and Christine can get together on this project, the results will be amazing.

It’s hard to say what I want, as a fan, from a new album. But it’s far easier to say what I DON’T want. I don’t want a Beatles WHITE ALBUM-type record, where it’s basically three singers doing solo songs backed up by the band. I don’t want RUMOURS 2 or TUSK 2 or TANGO 2. And I don’t want them redoing the EP songs. Those were finished and released by the line-up that existed at the time. That chapter is closed, which is a good thing in my book. I don’t want Dave Stewart involved. I don’t want the band to remake the EP songs or “You Can’t Fix This” or songs from Lindsey’s recent solo records.

And perhaps most importantly, I don’t want them pulling a typical FM recording schedule and taking 12-18 months to make this record. Let’s face it…Christine is 70, John is 68, Mick is 66, Stevie is 65 and Lindsey is 64. They’re not getting any younger.

People have talked about the songs that Lindsey, Mick, and John recorded last year [from which the EP songs were chosen]. And people have also suggested that Stevie has lots of unreleased songs in her closet. Presumably, Christine does as well.

Honestly, I wouldn’t even mind if they did proper studio recordings of the new songs from THE DANCE. I’ve always wanted a good Mac studio version of “My Little Demon” and “Temporary One.” [Yes, I know that some people would probably argue that, with all the studio trickery, THE DANCE could be considered a studio album…] I think Stevie has done better songs than “Sweet Girl,” but it’s certainly not a bad song, either.

Ideally, it would be great to have a new album with new songs, built as a team from the ground up. But the reality is that they probably don’t have time to start all over again if they want to release the record this year. The Lindsey-John-Mick tracks being mostly finished means that they’re close to having the album 1/3 done. Based on the eight new titles I found on ASCAP’s website back in April 2013, there are five songs left that we know about. That’s a good start.

Some of my favorite Mac songs feature the band members---usually Christine and Lindsey---trading vocals. I just love that approach, and I hope they do it some more on this record. My favorites usually involve Lindsey singing parts of Christine songs [“Hold Me,” “Think About Me,” “Don’t Stop”]. Maybe they could flip the concept and have Christine sing parts of some of those newer Lindsey songs that are in the can.

Finally, the producer. We all know that if Lindsey produces this record by himself, we won’t hear it for another two years. He needs some help---not because he can’t do it alone, but because, at this point in their lives and careers, they need someone to encourage them to be their best, to work together, and to nudge them along.

With all due respect to Mitchell Froom, an excellent producer and keyboardist who worked with Lindsey on the recent EP songs, three names come to mind: Rick Rubin, Rick Rubin, and RICK RUBIN. And if you need a fourth, RICK RUBIN. A fifth choice would be…Glyn Johns…followed by RICK RUBIN, RICK RUBIN, and RICK RUBIN.

Why do they need Rubin, and why does Rubin need them? He’s made a career out of making established acts viable again. Not that FM has ever NOT been very good, but it’s not like Johnny Cash was bad, either. Rubin got hold of him and made him sound better, that’s all. Rubin seems to love working with artists that have a history…ones that have maybe been written off by the rock media. So he would get a little credit for helping FM make a final masterpiece. He’s also known for pushing artists to focus on what makes them successful. I think he’s a guy who would look any of them in the eye and say, “That was good, but I think you can do better.” Finally, Rubin’s records sound fantastic. His production is clear, organic-sounding, timeless. And Lindsey has actually worked with him briefly in the past [Lindsey sang GREAT Brian Wilsonesque backing vocals on the Rubin-produced Tom Petty SHE’S THE ONE soundtrack record].

Having said all of this, I will be happy with pretty much anything they release as long as they’re all playing and singing and the songs are decent. At this point, whatever they decide to do is a blessing and a surprise.

Umm...but do we know for sure what Christine rejoining the band means? Have they confirmed there will be a new record? What do we really know at this point?

matt
Matt, I agree.....I've said for years that Rick Rubin would be the PERFECT choice for a new FM record, especially with Christine back in the band. I was never a big Dixie Chicks fan, but the disc they did with him was BRILLIANT! AND....it went on to win the Album of the Year Grammy!!!!! Just saying...!!

(And, yes, it's official...Chris IS back!!)