Thread: Timespace era
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2022, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
All right, already, I believe you. But donÂ’t you think itÂ’s weird that Stevie pilloried Mick over it? I wouldnÂ’t expect Stevie herself to know the legal ins and outs, but all those sycophants around her surely must have told her that Mick was powerless to give her what she wanted. Did no one tell her in 1991 that she was barking up the wrong tree?
That's the plot hole for me too. Why slam Mick and go as far as saying he messed with her family if there were no possible way of him releasing the recording to her?

No doubt the label has full control over the master recording, but you'd imagine Mick had clout with the label, who, in all likelihood, were good friends with him being in the Warner family for almost 20 years at that point. It just seemed like Mick had his eye on 25 Years and wanted to get the full benefit of "Silver Springs" for that release. Ultimately, I think Mick's book, laying bare the band's secrets, was the impetus for Stevie concocting the Silver Springs/Timespace idea.

I found this interesting article from a law firm on ownership of master recordings. It references Taylor Swift's recent battle to reclaim her master recordings. This part caught my eye: "In 1978, the U.S. Congress passed Section 203 of the U.S. Copyright Act, which allows artists to reclaim the rights to their master recordings after 35 years."

Last edited by SpyNote; 07-28-2022 at 10:15 PM..