View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You are quite the interesting fan. If I remember correctly your favorite song is Talk To Me and you love Rock A Little. That's cool but I am 100% opposite. TOSOTM had real instruments and guitars, real drums, etc. In addition she wrote most of the songs compared to RAL. Her voice was a disaster on RAL and if I were Jimmy I would have walked away too. Her voice is supreme on TOSOTM. Its back to Bella Donna roots. No cheezy pop songs but deep writing. Its definitely one of my favorites. Blue Eyes and Cry Wolf were disasters though. Cry Wolf was given to almost every singer during the 80's. Even Laura Brannigan recorded it RAL is the ONLY Stevie album I never upgraded to CD. I threw the album away many years ago and its her only work missing from the collection. Not only is it the worst Stevie album ever but I would also say its one of the worst albums of the entire 80's decade. And this is coming from someone that worshipped at the Stevie altar during the entire 80's. Stevie fans are in two worlds. Those that like Talk to Me, Seven Wonders, Welcome to the Room Sara, Everyday, etc and those that like the deep meaning songs. We don't understand each other and see past each other. Long Way To go, Ghosts, Ooh My Love, Escape from Berlin, Rooms on Fire, and Two Kinds of Love are some of Stevie's best songs and work IMHO.
And yet ROCK A LITTLE has one thoroughly enjoyable song for me: "Imperial Hotel." Most people dislike it or forget about it but it was the one song on RAL that excited me when I first heard the record. The rest of it saddened me. It was so thickly produced and so pumped up with expectation but terrible singing is terrible singing. Her signature song, HAEWAFY, sounded fantastic when Stevie sang it on Storytellers in 1998. But on RAL it sounds pretty awful. Not so with "Imperial Hotel." There her vocal energy is off the charts and for a little over two minutes I remembered why I got turned onto Stevie's music in the first place. I still feel this way.