View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
JTIS, I was talking to a co-worker yesterday that I hadn't seen for a few weeks. He appeared to have lost a little bit of weight, and I kind of complimented him on it and gave him a little encouragement; he was previously a bit stocky around the middle. Well, as it turned out, the weight loss was not intentional; it was a side effect of chemotherapy for Stage II cancer.

Kill. me. now. Please.
It's a chilly, cloudy day here in New York, which made me feel especially saddened when I just learned that the above-individual has just been entered into hospice care. I'm actually a bit devastated, even. The last time I spoke with him, a month ago, after a nasty round of lay-offs, he asked me if I could be his new "chat buddy," after his then-chat buddy got laid off. I assured him that I would be there for him, especially knowing what he was going through. Apparently his last scan "lit up like a Christmas tree," and there was pretty much nothing anyone could do about it. I was hoping for a miracle... and we carried on, even as he worked from home due to weakness, but it seems that things took a drastic turn for the worse quite suddenly. It just seems to me that it's such a f***ing waste that such a brilliant human- a medical doctor, a classical musician, a horticulturist - should meet his end so prematurely and painfully. I kind of hate the world at the moment. Really.