View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I think Stevie had been enjoying recording solo material. I think she will do another.
Quite frankly, I don't know what she wants at this point. She publicly announces over and over that she despairs of online sharing and dwindling markets for albums, and then she records in Nashville (not to mention the songs she does for movies and TV and cameos with other performers).

She appears nowadays to treat her music completely like a product: Unless it's recouping its cost or turning a profit, it isn't worth doing. That's a shame, because there are other great reasons to record new work, as everyone knows (and the artists themselves should know), not the least of which is what it can do for songwriters themselves—it can re-energize them and give them a sense of new horizons again. If you're a songwriter, it can be immensely gratifying to craft an album of new songs that you're proud of. That gratification can pull you out of an emotional doldrums. If you're hurting or grieving, that's all the more reason to write, write, write. Remember how Stevie dealt with the immediate aftermath of Robin's cancer? By painting. Stevie herself always said that the greatest art comes out of the greatest heartache—but in retrospect it sounds as if she was just being flippant and stentorian.

moviekinks.blogspot.com