View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an AV Article on favorite guitar solos. November 22, 2013]

http://www.avclub.com/article/the-av...r-solos-105894

Noah Cruickshank

Well, I guess I’m going to play copycat to Erik here, since my current favorite guitar solo is also one by Lindsey Buckingham, on “Gypsy” from 1982’s Mirage. The album is rightly maligned (it probably ties Say You Will as worst album by the “classic lineup”), but it does also house some of the band’s best work. “Gypsy” is a heartbreaking song all by itself, written for Stevie Nicks’ solo album Bella Donna while she suffered from the loss of a good friend. Sometimes an intrusive solo can ruin an emotional song, and it’s a testament to Buckingham’s reserve that his solo, which closes out the song, feels more like an extra verse than noodling for its own sake. It’s also brilliant in its minimalism—he only uses about three notes, but slowly introduces syncopation or a rare flourish to give the entire solo a beautiful progression. It sounds simple, but is most likely as difficult as most famous guitar solos. Buckingham is regarded as one of the greatest guitarists in pop, and “Gypsy” proves the hype without needless posturing or pyrotechnics.