View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
But what you guys are saying is that the current personnel should perform the songs of the previous personnel, regardless of liking it or not...If I joined Fleetwood Mac, I wouldn't bother playing Rick's or Dave's songs for the band
That's not exactly it. Rick and either Dave didn't have songs that were significant to the band's history. Peter, Jeremy, Danny, and Bob did, maybe even Billy. I don't think that the current version of the band really needs to play the oldies, now that they have released six studio albums, two of which could almost be counted twice. I think they didn't need those around the time of "Tusk," when they had more than 24 album songs, or 25 released songs, to work with to have a set exclusively from THAT incarnation. Their last tour alone had about 26 songs. I think the phase out of older material was a little too sudden.

However, the attitude that Lindsey has about feeling like a lounge guitarist whenever he played the old songs seems pretty goofy. Everybody knows that he wouldn't do those songs if he wasn't in Fleetwood Mac, just as Fleetwood Mac wouldn't do a Buckingham Nicks song without either he or Stevie being in the band (although, "Crystal" and "Don't Let Me Down Again" could be exceptions, as they were also released under the Fleetwood Mac moniker). I will say that if the CURRENT personnel play a Buckingham Nicks song live, they should also play a pre-1975 song, to be fair.

THE Stephen Hopkins