View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
A very solid album at the very least with at least three all-time 'best of' tracks. It does show a little of the '80s production sheen, but I don't think in a bad way at all, not anymore than Steve Winwood or Yes of the same time does. Stevie's Belladonna was so strong because of an excess of material she had in store, so I'd have to rate it higher, but Christine's '80s album isn't too far behind, and I think it's stronger than other Nicks releases of the decade. At the time I was very surprised when there wasn't another solo release from her at some point in the next dozen years.
Christine stated she never wanted to do a solo album but Warner Brothers heavily persuaded her to do so. That is why she enlisted Todd to write a good bit of songs with her. She did not want to do it alone. You are right, the album does not sound very dated for 1984. I really liked her stepping out with some creativity writing and working with Todd. Looking back however I think the album would have been better if it was only 100% Christine songs. Its a very traditional album. Nothing fancy or high tech for 1984. It could have benefited from a little flash here and there.