View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I agree that Mike and Neil are superior replacements to Rick and Billy but this time they have fired one of their own and so late in the game .It is preposterous to think that this new lineup will result in a change in fortunes like the 1975 band .The remaining 4 are all in their 70s ! . Fleetwood Mac was Peter Green's band. It was even called Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and he was also the member in the entire history of the band with the most raw talent.
I definitely see your point, and agree that this new lineup will never experience a renaissance like they did when Lindsey and Stevie joined. However, that doesn't mean their legacy will be tarnished just because they will never have another #1 album of new material. Even with Lindsey, the band would never have had successes like they had in their prime. Radio won't play a new FM song no matter who is in the band.

Again, using the logic that the band should have gone out on top, then the Dance should have been the last we ever saw of Fleetwood Mac, when Christine left. Instead, Mick, John, Lindsey, and Stevie soldiered on and toured several more times and recorded twice without Christine- did that tarnish their legacy? No. I know you're going to respond by saying "but they fired Lindsey," but objectively speaking, it doesn't matter. If there is a problem, the band has the right to fire someone. Just like if there is a problem, a member has the right to quit the band. The band doesn't have to keep someone out of loyalty. It's harsh but true. All the band members have sacrificed things for FM, and they all got a huge return for their sacrifices.

More importantly, a FM touring lineup with Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Neil Finn, and Mike Campbell could never be seen as a blemish on their history. In fact, if anything, history will probably say FM lived up their history of drama and lineup changes right up to the end.