View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Sure, there are warmer and sunnier places in the country... and they are sure nice to visit this time of year. But living there year-round is another matter. I will take the crappy weather in exchange for culture, diversity, and the energy of the Northeast. All of the palm trees, sand and surf in the world will not make up for the xenophobia, vapidity and right-wing sentiment rampant throughout the southern tier of this country.
I know you were probably talking about the South in general but around my part of Florida I've found diversity and with people being from everywhere, they welcome and bring whatever culture with them. In my experience the people here are no different than ones up home. I think we just like living in a warmer place and for some, prettier. There's good things and bad things about both Home and Florida, but either one has it's tradeoffs in the end. For me it was really about getting out of Ohio and the same place I'd lived for over 30 years and just being around something "new" for a change. I didn't want to move across the country and really there was no other place I wanted to live but beautiful Florida and while I'm now 1100 miles away from the family up there that stayed, I know it's only a short plane ride or 16 hour drive up or down I75 if we want to see each other and we have over last summer and this winter. I took a walk yesterday in February and the sun was shining and birds chirping and the smell of flowers and a big butterfly flew by and I know you couldn't see (or do) these things in most of the country right now so it's the little things like that I appreciate in the place I chose to move while still being somewhat close to my old life. It's the best of both worlds right now. Another plus about living in a place many people vacation, is I have racked in about 40 years worth since being here last winter.

Last edited by fringed n fab; 02-09-2011 at 07:42 PM..