View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I had read that the original version of "Call Me", as offered to Stevie, was an instrumental entitled "Man Machine". Debbie Harry ended up writing the lyrics to "Call Me", hence the change of title.
Yes, "Man Machine" is the correct title. As with his collaborations with Donna Summer, Giorgio wrote the music while Debbie added the lyrics. So if Stevie was indeed offered the track and had agreed to it, it would have turned out very differently (Rhiannon hires a Gigolo).

I'm not even sure how much the other band members of Blondie contributed to the final song beyond backing vocals. I have the original 45 and the instrumental B-side of "Call Me" is credited to Giorgio Moroder instead of Blondie.

I read an interview with Debbie where she said they wanted Moroder to produce the 1982 Blondie album The Hunter, but it didn't work out. Beyond a couple of strong songs, that album was abysmal in my opinion.

Despite some lows, I do love that Debbie and Stevie, two of my personal faves of all time, are still highly active. The new Blondie album comes out tomorrow, and the first single "Fun" is pretty fun.