View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasjz View Post
September 1983: interview with MTV. On recording Stand Back with Prince, Stevie says: "I never had met him or anything." Go to 7:05: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Hdvua7O0I
Yes, thank you for reminding me of this.

Most likely though, she wouldn't tell the truth on this matter anyway. Neither Prince nor Stevie would benefit from being linked in any way at the time, and was just keeping their liaison from becoming public knowledge.

The only reason I'm saying they met is because of the existence of Thousand Days. Stevie could not have written that song about a guy she had never met before coming into a studio for 20 minutes and not saying anything.

"'Thousand Days' was written about my non-relationship with Prince," says Nicks, who had earlier composed "Stand Back" with him - although she notes he's never called her back "to set up his payment on 50%" of the latter. "Days" recounts an abortive, all-night '80s recording session with him at his Minneapolis home during a Fleetwood Mac tour, climaxing with Nicks "smoking my pot - he didn't agree with my lifestyle - and going to sleep on Prince's floor in his kitchen. I like him, but we were just so different there was no possible meeting ground."
~Billboard Magazine, April 1998

So though the timeline is somewhat confusing, one can come to the conclusion that even if the days/months don't add up, there WAS something more to the story.

EDIT:: Yes, SisterNightroad, I just saw your reply, and that makes perfect sense. Thank you.