View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Lindsey has spoken publicly about Sheryl? What did he say?

Yes, but everybody played keyboards on SYW, even John.
Oh, I believe it was from an article written around the time of SYW... or TISL... something like that. It's not fun getting old. Irregardless, it is very, very unusual to have guests appearing on a FM album, so the fact that she was invited in to play keyboards is quite an honor and a testament to Sheryl's insider status with the band.

Quote:
I don't think the band -- as long as Buckingham or Nicks is in it -- would ever go out without the backups. They LOVE their backups.
If you think about it, Sheryl Crow is the ultimate backup. She does it all, except for percussion.

Quote:
Whuh? There are lots of keyboards on SYW -- probably more than any other Mac album (where Lindsey often used guitars to mimic boards).
I couldn't disagree with you more. SYW had lots of synthesizer-like sounds that were created via guitar pedals and effects. It was an album that was completely dominated by the guitar in which a few keyboard parts were added here and there to accentuate or fill out the sound. There isn't a single song on the album that was built around a keyboard part ala practically every Christine song. For me, the essence of the FM sound has always been around Christine's playing, so SYW was unsatisfying for me in that respect. I think Sheryl would bring back that bluesy heavy electric piano sound that has been sorely missing as of late.

Quote:
I don't think it will "totally" change, not with SharonMindyJanaEtc. still there singing. Sheryl even sort of sounds like a backup singer -- same timbre. She also very efficiently goes into backup singer mode. Witness her appearances with Stevie on her Troubled tour.
It has already changed with Christine's departure. But, in a way, one could argue that Sharon and Christine both have a similar tone to their voice- that soft, full, husky sound, whereas Stevie and Sheryl both have a reedy, girly quality to their voices. If Sheryl takes over the parts traditionally sung by Sharon/Christine, it's definitely going to sound different. In fact, at times it could sound like Stevie is harmonizing with herself, like she does on her studio recordings.