View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 11:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Did anyone else listen to "Mystery To Me" and play "Good Things" right after "The Way I Feel" just to see what it would have originally sounded like?

I remember getting the vinyl in the early 80s at 9 years old - and so curious why that lyric sheet had lyrics for a different song than was on the album! Was cool, at 45 in 2020 to FINALLY hear that song.

"For Your Love" of course is more commercial (I guess?) but "Good Things" is classic Bob Welch - could have easily fit on Penguin, Mystery, or Heroes. I personally like it better than the cover version of "For Your Love" - and love that little vocal run Christine McVie does throughout the song with the strange echo effect on her voice.

It's been years since I heard the Bob Welch solo version so I'll have to dig that out to compare.

"Homeward Bound" live is such a treat. I loved the early take of "Show Me A Smile" - the vocals on the alternate take had the rawness and tone of her vocals on the Christine Perfect album - which I loved. Some alternate lyrics too.

"What A Shame" - I almost fell of my chair when the vocals came in - I think it's Danny Kirwan (interesting how no matter which incarnation of the band they meld to sound similar sometimes).

"Stone" - the unearthed Bob Welch song - is basically just an acoustic guitar an voice song - nothing that will change anyone's life but still cool to get one more unheard Bob Welch song.

I love the CD covers which are direct replications of the LPs - right down to the "Kiln House" and "Mystery To Me" inserts (which are totally authentic with the misprinted "Good Things" lyrics - which actually are now applicable).

I love early Fleetwood Mac so this box set is a dream come true for me.

And...sorry no unearthed outtakes from Mrs. Scarrot.