View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Oh ok sorry I got it I wasnt paying the best attention there. I guess the better question would be what was going on with Clifford Davis at the time? We all know what occured after the MTM tour stopped but was there friction between him and the band before that point that couldve contributed to all that mess?
I don't believe so. It simply came down to Mick being less than attentive to his wife (by his own admission), Bob taking advantage of the void and moving in, Mick eventually catching on but well after the fact, then trying to look past it all in the name of the band at large and the current promotional tour. When he realized he couldn't, he bailed to Africa to get his "head together." Mick's wife had already been sent packing to England, and Weston found himself suddenly high and dry - and unemployed - for his indiscretion. A pretty costly faux paus at that, as there is no reason to believe he might not have had a long career with the Mac, since he gelled well with the existing players and was stoked to be in the band right to the end.

Bob has stated he felt like he was a young axe in a solid mentorship, with Welch and Christine on the creative front, and John & Mick on the backing side. More importantly, it may not have led to the eventual burnout of Bob Welch the following year with all that occurred, since Weston had become such an integral player in the mix and could be expected to shoulder a portion of the weight. They were clearly expecting more and more from him (and damn if he didn't work well with Bob and Christy in both the studio and on stage).

To my knowledge, once Davis was informed by Bob Welch that they had cancelled the tour, he flipped out and tried to make it clear HE owned the FM name, and that HE was the one who made such decisions, not the rank and file band members. That's why he compiled the bogus band made up of members of Stretch, and sent them out to complete the tour (which disintegrated before making any real headway). As Weston had basically been sent packing too, he soon found his way back to work on various projects involving Davis Productions, to include a sessions stint on Danny Kirwan's final solo album.