View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Personally, I think part of the change in style over the years, particularly since RUMOURS, is the fact that Lindsey discovered the Rick Turner guitar and stopped using “real” guitars as much. I remember reading interviews with him around the time of OUT OF THE CRADLE, and he talked about how, in the studio, he still used other guitars like a Telecaster [I think one of those instrumental introductions was actually recorded on a Telecaster]. To my ears, that’s part of the reason that album sounded so good. Since then, I don’t think I’ve seen a single photo of him with anything other than the Turner guitar or one other acoustic guitar, and I haven’t read a single interview in which he talked about using a Fender or a Gibson.

Has he used a Gibson since the RUMOURS days? Those solos just burn, you know? I realize he loves the Turner guitar, presumably because it lets him switch back and forth between electric and acoustic sounds easily. But I don’t think the tone is great for studio recordings. That’s just me.
I've read in various places that he DOESN'T use the Turner Model 1 all that much in the studio (He used a National Reso-Lectric quite a bit on the SYW album). For the acoustic based tunes he seems to use the Turner Renaissance guitars more in the studio, but also Martins & Taylors.

On the last couple of tours he's used a regular ol' Fender Strat on "Tusk". But, his Turner Model 1 covers so much ground on stage, that he prefers that. However, he still changes Model 1s almost every song (from what I've seen from videos posted online, so what would be the difference between that & switching between Les Pauls, Strats & Teles? Maybe it's some sort of verbal agreement between he & Rick Turner (similar to that you rarely see photos or videos of Clapton playing any electric except a Fender Strat, even though he still plays Gibsons every so often...like his Byrdland or an ES-335. Haven't seen him play a Les Paul for a LONNNNG time)

Lindsey seems to stretch out more with acoustic guitars on stage.. the Renaissance RS-6 or RN-6, a Carruthers ACN6, a Gibson Chet Atkins CE, a Martin D-whatever or a Taylor.