View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
If that was the case why did the Mac use it as their first encore last tour? Bands usually play big hits or well known songs as their encore. I could not disagree more that World Turning is not know to casual fans. World Turning gets regular play on classic rock stations all over the USA every day. Just like Gold Dust Woman was never a single but a main stay of classic rock stations. I would bet 88% of their concert goers know the song. The band has played it on many of their big tours usually highlighting parts of the concert. In 1987 and 1990 it was the highlight of the mid show with Mick's body playing percussion. Then it came later in the set to then be highlighted as their first encore.
Station Man opened the Mac's first tours with Stevie and Lindsey. You must do the song first to keep the audience's attention. Mid way through its too unknown. The opener has everyone's attention and it features everyone on vocals. I would bet the house it will be the opener just like it was 1975. Or like in 1976 Say You Love Me into Station Man.

There's no problem with it being an encore song. Its just not a song to end the main show on. The last song of the main set needs to be a big one to get the crowd shouting for more. Once the encore starts the clock resets and they can then play something less well known and follow it up with another big one, i.e. Don't Stop.

I agree with Station Man as an opener. The opening song doesn't need to be particularly well known as the audience isn't going to take a leak or get a drink during the first song. Also, as you say its a good one for all the singers to lend their vocals to.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood