View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yes, and putting asses in seats or selling records/cds/downloads whatever *IS* the "work" in a big commercial band. Not all these tasks like who pushes the record button or who strums the guitar or whatever that people are going on about. The big picture is that the job is selling product. The product being sold is either a tour or an album or a book or a movie or whatever. Your job is to come up with the content (the songs in the case of an album, or the show if a tour) and then sell the hell out of it. You don't have to like this definition, but that is what show business is. (I hear you, Lindsey..'but what about the art, the art'.......though even he totally knows this is what 'the business' is all about ).

So 'equal pay for equal work' in this context would mean if any one of them could sell the same amount of seats/albums as the next, they'd all get paid the same. They don't. Doesn't mean they don't put in just as much effort and do just as many, or even more, daily tasks.....it comes down to who sells product. And she does, more than anyone else in the band. That said, Lindsey is in a very solid position to argue for more money because while she is more the public face of the band, and generates more publicity and sells more seats with her higher name recognition, he is the lynchpin of producing the content that they are trying to sell. Mac albums without him didn't do as well as Mac albums with him. He and his management can argue that he is the architect of the sound that made them so successful and why the songs recorded 40 years ago are still selling well and are respected. He's gotten better at marketing himself in this role and telling everyone how everyone else's songs wouldn't be what they are without him. That leverages him more money because he can show his efforts directly sell more product.

Chris could as well. I really hope she's getting her fair share. She seems like she doesn't like fighting and discord but I hope her managers go in and fight because she wrote more hits and her presence on the last tours increased ticket sales.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-07-2018 at 01:10 PM..