View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I like the ones you listed, along with the song with the line "ladies of the canyon" (I forgot the title).

One of the tracks on 24 Karat — If You Were My Love — is the worst thing I've ever heard on a Stevie Nicks solo album. It was a cool song when Fleetwood Mac tracked it for Mirage. But this one is pure stunk. The vocal sounds like something on its last legs, or maybe something that has already expired, dragged along the ground behind a body wagon during the Plague. The music wobbles back and forth between a tonic and a second, but literally never resolves. It gives you the sense of being trapped in a sound nightmare when your brain can't think of an ending. Not the sort of thing you'd put to an abysmally slow tempo, but that's what they did here. It's like watching a tortoise walk. Unbelievably bad judgment. Did they release this as a terrible in-joke, or was everyone in the room too afraid to say how bad it was? Is it the first song in history to be included by dint of embarrassed silence?
I agree with you 100% on this. One of the worst things she's ever recorded. it's painful to listen to...and then she did it live, and the live version was no better.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...