Thread: St. Paul show
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 09:00 AM

Review: Stevie Nicks, storyteller and music icon performs at the X in St. Paul

Stevie Nicks, the Reigning Queen of Rock and Roll performed for over two hours last night and only stopped because she was “nearing curfew” according to her FitBit.

The 68-year-old spent the night telling stories of why and how many of her songs were written, keeping the audience engaged as if they were sitting in her living room versus a packed arena on a cold Minnesota night. With each story, she became more relatable allowing the audience to transport back to a time in their lives with a simple song lyric or note.

Right at the beginning, Nicks told fans that “Starshine” the lead track of her newest album was written in Tom Petty’s basement in 1979. It was amazing to hear deep tracks from her career, "Crying in the Night" which she wrote in 1971 and "24 Karat Gold: Songs from the Vault," her 2014 album made up of songs that she said fell into a dark gothic box for so long.

"You have to be careful as a writer, so it's not so depressing. You have to figure out a way to tell the story, beautifully, without hurting anyone." Nicks went on to tell the audience how she was sitting in her oceanfront house in Santa Monica and watching the hurricane coverage as Hurricane Katrina was about to slam into New Orleans. "Everyone else is thinking 'Glad that isn't me' meanwhile I grab a pen and paper and start writing. So I did but never found the right time to release "New Orleans" ... until this storytelling tour came along."

http://kstp.com/entertainment/review...-paul/4337472/