View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Why should he need to eat humble pie at this stage in his career and what has he done wrong that he needs to eat humble pie anyway?
It's about the mucho dinero. Always has, always will be. No FM, no money.

Quote:
People are usually only served humble pie as a penalty when they've usurped their boundaries. Lindsey hasn't done that. The very idea that having Sheryl around will somehow keep him in line is a big reason I would be against her inclusion.
The fact that SYW was not a runaway smash, and the fact that even Stevie could not pretend to like it means that she was not only unhappy with the final product, she was also unhappy with the process. Stevie is the McCartney (commercial) to Lindsey's Lennon (left of center). And when the balance is right, the end result can be brilliant (like Stevie's songs on Tusk). For SYW, there was clearly something off about that balance. Although many people liked the record (myself included), I did not embrace the record like I did the other FM albums; it was a bit too dark and over-indulgent in spots, which are the same things I could say about Lindsey's solo work. Lindsey's clearly dominated every pore of that album. I think Christine would have helped to strike the right balance. The same reasoning would apply to a tour as well. Lindsey had too much masturbatory "guitar hero" time on the SYW tour.

Quote:
Furthermore, working as a team is only a good thing if the teamwork contemplated has merit. I don't want Lindsey to work as a team to put out garbage. If compromise works to the greater good, fine. Compromise for the sake of compromise alone is meaningless.
I think Lindsey (and his therapist) would probably consider compromise to be a healthy thing- in all aspects of his life. This isn't his band. It's the four (or five) of them together. He's had his opportunity to exorcise his demons with his solo work (that has gone largely unheard), so he should adapt to being a member of a band, or just leave the band altogether. I don't think Lindsey has helped to crank out garbage in the past, so I certainly don't think he will do so with Sheryl Crow on board. A change would do him good!