View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I loved ALL of Stevie's solo albums. Even though deep inside I was disappointed in RAL, I still played it to death. I agree that RAL lacks cohesion. The songs with different producers, etc. Bella Donna is like a classic novel. Each chapter has a feel and flow. Each song fits perfectly together. RAL is a disaster. However I do see the promise of what could have been a really good album. The extended rock version of The Nightmare is not bad. If you could add real drums and percussion it would be so much better.
The title track RAL is so odd. However the "extended" version is so much better. The song is complete even though the fake computerized sounds keep chirping. But the song on the album seems cut from the extended version. So the song is robbed of the better parts IMHO.
Imperial Hotel is not bad but it seems recorded in one take as if the Heartbreakers had little time to spend in the studio or something. A little more production could have made the song so much better. I sing for the things is a beautiful song but ruined with computer programmed bass and fake sounding strings. Just imagine a real acoustic version or the more upbeat version on the album. It would have been a home run. I would also cut the merry go round circus music part from I Cant Wait.