View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like both Stevie and Bekka, for very different reasons.

How lucky a fan like myself has been to have become familiar with both of their works. Is one better than the other? Not in my book. "Better Days" and "Silver Springs" are perhaps my two favorite songs from 1997.

Can Stevie sing? Yes. I think her voice can be inconsistent, sounding great on one song, but boring (or worse) on others. Hey, I can say the exact same thing about Bob Welch and Peter Green these days, too. I find a lot of Stevie's new songs boring or cringe worthy. But, I can say the same about Bekka, Christine, Lindsey, Peter, Billy, Bob...and even people who've never been in Fleetwood Mac. That having been said, I prefer Lindsey's SYW songs with Stevie on them than the GOS demos without Stevie. I absolutely detest Stevie's 1986-1994 period, but she was classic before then, and a legend since. (Hey, we all have are awkward periods. Why should Stevie be different?)

And this crap about Bekka over emoting? Huh? Does "Dreams unwind, love's a state of mind" mean anything to anyone? Or, what about "Talk To Me" from Red Rocks? Or "Edge Of Seventeen" from that very same video? Or, "Sisters Of The Moon" from the "Mirage" concert video? I mean, let's be fair here. BTW, I think the best worst offender in this category would be Bonnie Bramlett's singing at the end of "That's What My Man Is For" from Delaney & Bonnie's "On Tour With Eric Clapton" album.

As I've said, Stevie and Bekka come from two very different schools of music. I think both are valid, and frankly, I enjoy the contrast. Is one better than the other? Who gives a ****?!? Enjoy both of them for their different talents. There's a lot of great stuff there.

THE Stephen Hopkins