View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I gave the album a rest for a few days and listened again this morning, and now I can order the songs according to how much I like them.

Carnival Begin
Game of Pretend
On With the Show
Too Far Gone
Red Sun
In My World
Love is Here to Stay
Sleeping Round the Corner
Feel About You
Lay Down for Free

Naturally, the list reflects my Christine preference. I have always liked her songs the best. But Lindsey has some very strong songwriting on this record, too.

"Carnival Begin" is the best song on the album, by far. Great music, great singing, lyrics that tell the story of Christine's return to music. It's a shame this is one of the two they are skipping in the live shows.

For a long time I would have put "On With the Show" as my second favorite song, but "Game of Pretend" has wheedled its lovely way strongly into my consciousness. I think about the song a lot, even when not listening. It has everything I love about Christine's music: beautiful singing, gorgeous piano, heartfelt, simply expressed emotion, a positive outlook on life.

"On With the Show" has its own brand of emotion, Lindsey-style, and I just love it. A song about loyalty and persistence.

"Too Far Gone" shows they can still rock with the best of them. I would love to hear the song live with Mick Fleetwood on those amazing drums.

"Red Sun" is utterly Fleetwood Mac-y, with its jaunty melody, its fun music, and the sadness of the lyrics all forming a package that hearkens back to the classic FM approach of the last forty-five years.

"In My World" -- I don't know if this is directed toward the (ahem) missing FM member, but if it is, it is done with gentleness. I actually think that although there may be Stevie imagery in the song, it's really another song about loyalty and persistence.

The bottom four songs on my list are all good. There is no filler on this record. But I don't think they stand out as wonderfully as the top six. So I put them in a more or less random order to finish the list.