View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Like I said, ultimately "Street Angel" suffered from not having a couple of killer songs."Greta" , "Blue Denim", & "Kick It" were nice, but there were no epic songs, no killer Stevie moments, just glimpses of what could've been.
I completely agree with you on this. The three you named are the three highlights for me and I even have a love-hate thing with them. For instance, putting together a retrospective of her stuff, they just pale by everything on either side of them.

Even isolating them is problematic... I tried compiling a spruced up version of the album (for portability purposes) and just stalled out.

1. Blue Denim (Chris Lord-Alge Remix)
2. Greta
3. Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind (Chris Lord-Alge Remix)
4. Somebody Stand By Me*
5. Kick It
6. Love Is Like A River
7. Thousand Days

...and then I just got stuck because I don't really want to hear anything else from the album. I just haphazardly threw everything else from the era on to fill out the disc.

* In early '95 it was such a relief to hear her perform "Somebody Stand By Me", a well written song with a strong vocal performance. It was the first time in years that it felt like she really meant the words she was singing. The sentiment fit where she was in her life at that moment and it's a shame it didn't go out as a single release to soften the negative impact Street Angel had.