View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I see it as three examples (Street Angel, Tusk and Say You Will), combined with her general fixation on sales, as when she discussed the reason why SYW should not be a double album and when she blamed fans for stealing her music as the reason that albums don't sell. Contrast that with her failure to criticize the content of albums that sold more, but contained more inferior content. You see no trend. I see a rather distinct one.

I think sales rates have influenced her perspective strongly.
The only thing she ever criticized about 'Tusk,' were Lindsey's songs (which Christine also admitted to not being crazy about).

Look, I don't disagree that sales have been important to Stevie. I've long maintained that album sales and ticket sales were, for her, validation that her music was striking a chord -- just as Lindsey's validation has always been critical praise. When something that you've grown accustomed to, is no longer there, it requires quite an adjustment in your thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Contrast that with her failure to criticize the content of albums that sold more, but contained more inferior content. You see no trend. I see a rather distinct one.
I know it's hard to believe, but maybe she actually likes her songs on 'Mirage' and 'Tango.' (She talked glowingly to MTV about "When I See You Again," roughly half a year before the album was released. Even compared it to "Landslide.")

And then there's 'Behind The Mask,' which was a bomb compared to the sales of previous albums. I've never once heard her lambast that one.