Thread: Crush
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I think the fellow who said "We are all so loyal to our Queen, she can do no wrong," in regards to Christine, probably shouldn't take pot-shots at Stevie's fans.
If I know Homer as well as I think I do, I think he was being just a little sarcastic. It was tounge-and-cheek.
Quote:
As I've said before, I find the discussions of Stevie's "worn-out schtick" from Christine's and Lindsey's fans to be highly ironic.
Ah, but your assuming I'm a Christine or Lindsey fan. My top two are Mick and John, although I love all of the singers/songwriters who've been in Fleetwood Mac. Hey, I'm a sucker for a really good rhythm section.
Quote:
To me, Stevie's persona is no more unbelievable than Christine's four decades worth of singing love songs to guys who done her wrong but for whom she'd still sit at home and wait.
Or Lindsey's three decades of selling himself as a quirky "artiste" who's outside the mainstream, while readily alligning himself to big-ticket record companies who can get him the biggest cash advance.

Sure, Stevie's a middle-aged "fairy princess" who still writes about a relationship that broke up 25 years ago, but then Christine's a middle-aged co-dependent who still writes love songs to guys who only call her when they need a ride to the airport, and Lindsey's a middle-aged millionaire mansion-dweller who writes songs chastizing "the man" and his bureaucracies.

Someone can call all of that "schtick," but I call it part of what makes them each interesting as people and songwriters.
I can't say I disagree about Lindsey. I think he wants to be an indy rocker, but damn he gets a lot of zeros in his Fleetwood Mac royalties! But people can relate to chastizing "the man." We're all part of some system in which we don't have much control. So his actions speak louder than his words. His words tend to be more in line with John Q. Public's feelings.

I will say that I disagree about Christine. As a social worker, and a co-dependent, I've noticed over the years that once a co-dependent, always a co-dependent. Maybe that's a reason why I like Christine so much. I can personally relate to wanting whoever to finally do the right thing. I could get screwed a thousand times, but I'd still hope for a happy ending. So that's not so much schtick, but a personality flaw. Sadly many have this flaw, which is again another reason why so many can relate to her words.

Personally, I don't really try to understand or analyze what Stevie's saying in a lot of her songs. I just sit back and enjoy it. To do otherwise would require a few beers and a Little Orphan Annie decoder ring, and I don't have that kind of time. Instead, I enjoy her songs like I would an abstract painting, and just appreciate it for what it is. However, I do that because I really enjoy her music. For some it's just a taste they never acquire. Her music is just something they really don't understand and can't relate to.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-18-2005 at 02:41 AM..