View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Silver Girl drags, and if you listen to her demo in the documentary, he didn't actually change it much from her demo. She doesn't bring plinky piano demos in anymore to him, she spends time with her other musicians to bring more fleshed out production ideas to him. Her demo had flute on it, and he changed that to some sort of synthesized keyboard that sort of mimicked a high flute-y sound and played almost just what was on her demo. So it was one of her new found drone-y songs (she would repeat the same style on Cheaper Than Free and even on You May Be The One -- but Dave salvaged the latter one with his acoustic guitar; CTF was beyond salvage). It's like her "poems" are just long lists of words anymore. That's why I like Destiny Rules (even tho she cribs the same lines in Illume)-- he did a great job on DR with the guitar.

I like the "Silver Girl" demo marginally better than what ended up on SYW, but the song wasn't good to begin with. "She was a silver girl, lost in a high tech world..."

As far as the rest of the production on SYW, I didn't care for what he did on "Illume." However, I'm in the minority and love the finished product of "Smile At You." She could never achieve vocally what we all know and love from the old demos, so I thought Lindsey did a nice job with it. I agree with you regarding "Destiny Rules." I heard it on the XM channel, and his production was stellar.