View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Apologies in advance if this gets rambly or whatever, bUT:

I was at the Classic a few weeks ago, and one of my favorite music critics Bob Lefsetz wrote an awesome review of the performance. Presciently he writes:

Quote:
the thing about Fleetwood Mac is…

THEY’RE ALL HERE!

Doobie brothers are dead.

Walter Becker was too sick to show up.

Glenn Frey died.

Only three of twelve members of Earth, Wind & Fire are originals.

Steve Perry is absent.

But it’s the originals, the same people standing in Fleetwood Mac, and that’s positively AMAZING!

It’s not gonna go on forever folks. Our heroes are dropping like flies. And who knows when Lindsey will take a left turn. And Stevie doesn’t really need the rest, but on this night…

Mick is pounding, John is pulling, Lindsey’s wailing, Christine is tickling and…

Stevie is SINGING!

And twirling.

Rock on ancient queen indeed!

It’s when you’re at one with the music, when you can think of nothing else, when you’re thrusting your arm in the air that you know the performance is working, that the moment is transcendent, that you’re living in the rock and roll flow.
Frey's passing last year made me realize that my time with my favorite music was approaching its end. At the Classic I couldn't help but break down. There I was, surrounded by tens of thousands of people, singing along to the songs that have defined generations.

If I'm being honest, I don't think we can expect new music. Buckingham McVie is a gorgeous body of work, and if it ends there, I think that they as well as Stevie, would be content. No need to force something that isn't organic as Liddy would say. These are five human beings, seasoned musicians, with families and more of their lives behind them than ahead. Our fireflies have been through hell and back, and I swear there were times after SYW, and then after Unleashed tour that I thought that was the end. I can't help but be thankful that they've made it this far, still willing to let us experience this magnificent band.

There will never be anything again like Fleetwood Mac. They've more than earned their right to fade in whatever way they choose, with all of us supportive as ever, making sure their legacy lives on as the music lives on. One day I'll get to tell my children I was alive when Fleetwood Mac was making music and that alone is freaking awesome.

THAT BEING SAID, I WOULD ACTUALLY DIE IF THERE WAS A NEW ALBUM. VAULT SONGS?! NEW SONGS?! I'LL LOVE IT

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09