View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
It took me a couple of days to have time to focus on this Album
This is my take:
Oh boo hoo to pop. Vinnie, you and your pop aversions! Well at least I'll give you credit for sitting down and spinning 'er up. Must have been like going to the dentist though. At least you see a few shining flourishes! Emerald Eyes was hardly a bad choice for first cut, and MTM got plenty of listens by the Mac devoted when it was released -- where were you back then? Oh yeah, lost in the blues. Hypnotized was too good a song to open the disc with. You kinda build up to a climax, ya know?

The City, a lot of riffing but no gut when it counted at the end

Well then enjoy the early talk box guitar novelty. That riffing is great, only a blues fanatic couldn't appreciate it.

"Animosity bordering on contempt"? Welch has and holds nothing against Green! He always points to Peter's brilliant guitar takes (though he does state Kirwan pretty much matched it - could that be the issue here?). Kindly want to furnish a few quotes to back up yer accusation? Inquiring minds would love to see them.

Your read of Why is good though. That slide is Bob Weston, who also arranged the song (later converted to strings nearly note for note, sans Weston credit). Great CM composition for sure.

Keep on Going, Take off on Masquerade by George Benson. Without groove of Bensons tune.

Uh, hate to ring your bell big boy, but how can that be a rip-off of Benson's Masquerade when it was recorded + released 3 years prior? Maybe Benson was ripping off Welch, eh! Groove-wise, Masquerade burns no brighter imo.

So 3/12 = 1/4 good. I'll say it again, getouttahere!