View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Ledgie

Stevie didn't go to rehab until the latter part of 1986. So she was likely partaking of substances on the Rock a Little tour (whether or not it was up her rear, as rumour would have it). She said in her Behind the Music special that she had to be very careful with the coke on that tour because she knew about her "blow hole," but the drug was not out of her life yet.

While on the road, she recorded demos of some of the songs that she sent to FM for consideration for FM. So the demos of "Juliet," "Whole Lotta Trouble" and "What Has Rock & Roll Ever Done For You" were likely recorded with her touring band.

I saw an interview of her talking about a "Landslide"-style ballad she'd recorded as a "duet" for Tango that would have dated before rehab (surely "When I See You Again"). She thought it was "really, really pretty." Also I believe "Seven Wonders" predated rehab. And of course, "Welcome to the Room...Sara" was post-rehab, given the subject matter. Her insistence on that song bumped "Whole Lotta Trouble" off Tango.

Which I think is a good thing. Because it would have gotten a synthetic, cheesy treatment on Tango (not the powerful, horn-driven bluesiness of the TOSOTM version). While I would love Stevie to have had another strong song like "Juliet" on Tango, I'm glad that one got saved as well. Bruce Hornsby adds a lot to the tune. It's probably my favorite on TOSOTM.

I was nervous about the state of Stevie's voice before TOSOTM came out. "No Questions Asked" from the previous year had given me hope that her vocals had recovered and that she wouldn't hit many flat notes.

But she still sounds off to me in places on just about every song (i.e. that jarring wailing in "Fire Burning," a song I otherwise like okay). "Ooh My Love" is good, but it keeps going on and on well past its expiration date.

There are a lot of solid songs on this set, but none of the material quite reaches "classic" level to me. In that regard, it's a lot like RAL to me. Few strikeouts, but no home runs.

But I'm glad people enjoy this album. It deserves to be heard.

Last edited by brad975; 03-05-2015 at 10:37 AM..