View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
This is probably some of the most telling, chilling and brilliant lyrics she has ever written! And some of my favorite!
Doing the best that I can has amazing lyrics too.
Of course this is my interpretation of the song but its pretty clear.

It was one for you but three for me (shows how much of an addict she was in doing so much more...one for you but 3 for me)
It was very nice it was everything (cocaine is one hell of a drug)
So here it is in little pieces (can mean literally cocaine in little pieces or your world shattered in little pieces)
I just played the part, I didn't win or lose (can mean she did not try and went through the motions at Betty Ford)
Maybe next time I'll think about how I'm feeling (meaning if you ever get the urge again to do coke, remember this time and how you feel)
And the whispered secrets go on and on(Stevie Nicks is in rehab)
You watch after her and your word is law (meaning how much they watch your every move at rehab no privacy)
She thought she was out there but no one saw (meaning her fantasy to be outside this place)
I did not win or lose, I just threw the cards (meaning giving up and just getting out of rehab)
But I paid a price for it (price literally its not a cheap place to go and the price of scorn she gets)
I was silent, I was locked away, but I covered my tears, silent all day (nuff said)
Its out of my hands here
In my distress I wanted someone to blame me. In my devastation I wanted so to change

You get the point...... its such a heart wrenching song with no beating around the bush with meaning. When I would get in a rut or have a tough time with life.... I would put this song on with headphones and crank it

Its alright baby cause I'm doing the best that I can. I'm trying hard to change, I'm doing it the best that I can.

And that is all you can ask of someone really. Rupert Hine is a genius for how robotic and hypnotic the music is for this song. The lyrics would not flow in a normal rock n roll song. He created a masterpiece especially the way she fades out in the end.

That is why I get so defensive of this song when people trash it. IMHO its one of her best written songs. Sometimes Stevie writes in code and between the lines (no pun intended). She was not afraid to tell us exactly how she felt during this time in her life.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-05-2015 at 08:28 AM..