View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Golfer Proposes at Show]

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/jan/14...web-com-delay/

By Jim McCabe January 14, 2014 3:48 p.m.

Pat Perez, a romantic? Who knew?

“It’s called class,” said Perez with a laugh, when asked to tell the story of his New Year’s Eve proposal to girlfriend Ashley Pendley.

Invited to a private party at the MGM in Las Vegas, Perez asked for permission to have the stage before the headliner, Stevie Nicks, came on to perform. “I only need two minutes,” he said.

Once on stage, Perez, 37, asked for Pendley to come forward. When she did, he got down on one knee. A video clip of the moment was shown, and at that point, there’s a long pause followed by an emphatic, “Yes.” But Perez said he wasn’t nervous in those moments of silence.

“I knew she was going to say yes,” Perez said. “Like (a good friend) said, ‘Just think if she had said no how hard it would be to hide.’ But it was good; it was fun. Some of our friends were there.”

When he said the private party was in an arena where 16,000 can comfortably be seated, Perez knew the next question before it was asked. “Yeah, it’s for all their high-rollers – and me. (They had) $280 million in credit – and my $500.”

Pendley was wearing the impressive diamond at the Sony Open. Perez, who finished in a logjam for T-8, was asked about details of the ring. “You’re asking the wrong guy,” he said. “It’s only 11 carats, not like it’s overdone. It’s strong. It’s up there.”

Asked about a wedding date, Perez shrugged. November, maybe December: “We’ll see how I play.”