Thread: 2008 Tour ????
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
Im just saying, If I were to go see this lineup, Id rather have Rick/Billy songs that I have NEVER heard [Ive declared myself a pure Rumours line up fan, but Im not totaly against branching out...].

And Im Not saying that thier version of GOYW sucks, just its LBs sig song, Like Rhiannon is Stevies, and YMLF is Chris'. It just seems like that those songs are reserved for those people. thats JMO though.
So what if it's LB's "sig song". So was "Oh Well" Peter Green's, but it was played during every tour after Peter Green left (until The Dance, that is...hasn't been done since...now THAT's a crime!). Even Lindsey did Bob Welch's "Hypnotized" and that's Welch's "sig song". It's just Fleetwood Mac's tradition that whoever joins the band pays their dues by singing songs of previous members. Hence Bekka singing both "YMLF" and "Gold Dust Woman" (and "Dreams", and "Say You Love Me"). And, those tunes are FLEETWOOD MAC tunes, not solo "sig songs".

I think that's where the coinciding solo careers hurt the parent band. People start getting confused over what's a band song & what's a solo song. (same thing happened in the latter day version of Genesis with Phil Collins, too)

Sure, I would've liked to have heard more from Rick & Billy, too, on the two tours they were together. And, during the '94/95 tour, I would've liked them to have done their own thing instead of relying so much on the Rumours and Dave Mason material. Had they just come out & packed the set with NEW material and mixed in a couple of Rumours tunes (and "Oh Well") and maybe one or two Dave Mason solo hits, I think that lineup would've gotten more respect. That is kind of the formula in what they did in '75...played a few Fleetwood Mac "oldies", added a couple of Buckingham Nicks tunes, and the rest of the set was their latest material and there you have it.