View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
This. I think that hits the nail on the head when it comes to Lindsey. He had one truly solid solo album (Out of the Cradle in 1993) followed by solo efforts with fewer and fewer actually good songs on them. I listened to his most recent studio album Seeds We Sow a bunch of times and I just kept thinking how uncatchy and monotonous the songs were; I can't even remember one by name today. At the same time, his production style (sped up/whispered/sampled vocals, guitar effects, etc.), which was once quite novel, has become stale and dated. It becomes quite glaring on the LB/CM album because Christine's songs are so melodic, emotionally honest and catchy while Lindsey's songs are mostly just pleasant-but-generic power pop numbers with oblique, unimaginative lyrics. It's like John Lennon's Double Fantasy album and Christine is John while Lindsey is Yoko. None of this discounts Lindsey's incredible body of work from early in his career (up to 1993). But to say that he is some kind of visionary genius is quite a stretch in consideration of the overall mediocrity of the last 25 years of his output.
Really insightful post. It's wonderful how you expressed your opinions so kindly, but accurately. No one is denying the talents of Lindsey Buckingham who has extraordinary prowess as a guitar wizard and production artist. And it's no put down to say someone isn't quite the songwriter that Christine and Stevie have been.