Thread: Dreams covers
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Recap from MTV
http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/02/11/a...p-group-night/

Mary Powers vs. The Dreamers, Sanity

If Todrick was the head cheerleader of the "Idol" high school cafeteria, Mary Powers was the unstable late-in-life student-teacher who often cries in front of the class. The 29-year-old, initially slammed by Simon in her audition for trying too hard with her image, showed up to Hollyweek dressed in her finest business suit. Obviously. That was the first sign that the rocker was off her rocker. Exhibit B? Everything else she did in this episode.

To be fair, I would also be pissed if two flighty girls invited themselves into my group. Would I walk over to a show producer to "double-check" the rules? Probably not. I, too, would want to get as much out of my time with a vocal coach as possible. Would I provoke said vocal coach to the point of him telling me to shut my pierced pie hole? Probably not. I, too, would want my group performance to be a cohesive, tight, well-rehearsed routine. Would I scream at my group-mates over every little thing, then get all weepy in front of a TV camera and wish to be placed in a group that wasn't so critical and nit-picky, only to then go back to my group and yell at them some more? Definitely not.

Given the backstage turmoil, it wasn't a big shocker that the Dreamers' performance of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" was a nightmare. Mary started the song with a Christina-like run and a schizophrenic chuckle, Margo May sang in the key of strife and Alex Lambert (!) shuffled like Charlie Brown during a solo. The rendition was so bad that Kara's earring fell out during her critique. (Oh, Kara.) Rumor has it Taylor Swift sent the Dreamers a fruit basket with a note that said, "Now I'm not the worst thing to happen to a Fleetwood Mac song on television. Thanks!" Despite the drama, Mary, Alex Lambert (!) and Hope Johnson skated on through.