View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default But there are more than 3 good songs on MTM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has them
Right. But of course, what would the world be like without belly buttons? Not one I'd like to be in!

As for your reference to Somebody, I'd like to know who Welch's "somebody" actually was - who was that target of his lament? Not that it matters, as we all have our own "somebody". Great tune though.

There are thousands of incredibly gifted musicians. I don't trash em. It does not mean that everything they do is gold. I have heard all stars play badly together.

Quite true. It often takes just the right pairing to produce "magic." That formula often can't be predicted, formulated or force fabricated with purely all-star talent. You can count the number of truly successful "supergroups" on one hand, if even. For whatever reason, the math just doesn't work out.

in 1973 I was a working musician in a "blues band". The blues boom had subsided and I got a day job. I never stopped listening to music. My tastes evolved. I don't know what you remember of the 60's and 70's but Fleetwood mac was not on the top of everybody's musical tastes in any era including PG to B/N to poor dave mason.

That is true also (with the exception that follows). That's why I often refer to the early adopters as the "Mac faithful" or "Mac diehards". Those that go back to the Green or Kirwan years were never overwhelming in numbers, but still there was a reasonably "substantial" base back then (Fleetwood Mac DID have a name early on don't forget). But you are wrong also, in that the West Coast Pop sound that constituted Fleetwood Mac after Lindsey & Stevie came on board WAS on the top of many, many folks musical tastes in the mid to late 70's (between the '75 white album and Rumours to wit). And that's a fact Jack.

taste is relative when it comes to how a song is presented

Yeah sort of again. But come on, most of us know a "winner" when he hear one. There are certain melodies and hooks that are undeniable. The consensus of opinion often indicates just such a validity. That's where and how we often get those things we call "hits". Now not every great melody line or composition gets its due recognition, that's for sure. In some ways what gets airwave time can also be damn near random (payola aside). Beyond that, some of the best music ever produced was never targeted for radio play to begin with. But that withstanding, as to how a song is presented, yeah I'll agree, things are much more relative and subjective.

I respect all blues bangers, never forget that. What I don't respect is undiluted fanaticism over the genre, that is, making more of it than need be, the same as in any other style of music. It's just another great form of crafted musical notes, with its own unique flavor. I never see it as a step up or down from rock n roll, or C&W for that matter (though I am not personally a big C&W fan). As I see it, none of these forms reach the heights of classical music in terms of sheer complexity. Fortunately that doesn't matter when it comes to being able to appreciate each variant - same with jazz, pop, standards, etc.

I am still a musician and I do respect the abilities of Bob Welch and Mr Weston.

I believe it, it's actually evident when you read between the lines. But imo you're still not giving enough credit to MTM. But hey, at least you recognize it has some winning moments. Welch + Weston play well together (but the same could be said for Welch + Kirwan during their tenure). Welch framed the music, and let Weston have wide license to adorn it as he saw fit. And dang if it didn't work well with some of those sweet tradeoffs.

as far as "getoutahere" I wish you would stop saying that unless you mean it in the "brooklyn sense"

getouttahere! = yougottabekiddin! (nothing more, now you know)

Now go spin up Kiln House. There' s a similar thread here rating that one. Inquiring minds would like to hear Big V's take on it.