View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They're super, super tight and inspired. Manalishi is so in the pocket; each little piece counts—the lead guitar somewhere between psychedelic and psychotic, the drums, the bass, the organ, Christine's Hohner electric piano.

Angel is better than the studio version. This incarnation was one of the best hippie bands and Sixties holdovers out there in those days. They were every bit as interesting musically as the Doors or Vanilla Fudge (although their material wasn't as consistently first rate).

I think these are John McVie's best years. He's the jet engine that's thrusting everything forward. He's playing like a black dude in the Ohio Players or something! Christine's tempo on Spare Me a Little here versus a year or two later is the difference between nimble and clubfooted. It was a lot easier to get down to Fleetwood Mac in 1974 than in 1975.
Of course they would have never done it but I thought this new Mac should have opened their set with Manalishi. A full hard rock Judas Priest version and blow everyone out of their seats. It would have made a statement. It would have gotten everyone's attention, and as the opener no running to the bathroom for vintage Mac songs. I love Chris's organ on the song!
Lost opportunity if you ask me LOL

Sentimental Lady is a slightly sped up version and it really sound great.