View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
As for Stevie’s future, wasn’t there going to be a goldfish and the ladybug book?
You wag.

Seriously, now, M'Lady Stevie's got a few things in her future: the Hall of Fame honor, her latest package (is that out yet?), and of course Fleetwood Mac's tour schedule. My hunch is that live performance, with Fleetwood or on her own, is going to be the linchpin of her public life, as it's been for a long time now. She does lots of other little fritty projects, like cameos on dumb TV shows and recording songs with a train of adulatory musicians, but none of those things is long term. Notice that? Stevie has never liked long-term inward-focused work—work that takes intense concentration—like making albums in the studio or writing books. She's very solitary—but she's really not very solitary. She's the eternal work-as-party girl. I think I know why her Rhiannon script idea never came to fruition: it's long-lasting, solitary work (even if Karen is in the room with her), and she doesn't have the drive for it, whether she writes the screenplay or just "oversees" it. Even her cameos on TV, from Up All Night to American Horror Story, obviously take her no more than a single day, maybe two, to film, and all they require of her is to be . . . her.

The other Macsters have always said Stevie gets bored in the studio. She'd prefer to sing live, where she can emote and sing one song once for the night and get high on the overwhelming immediacy of the audience's response. (Remember how her voice and face seemed to fall when she had to redo parts of her Melbourne concert with the orchestra because someone failed to record it?)

This use of touring as some sort of psychological bulwark against sitting at home, turning inward, has been Stevie's life since she hit 50 and it's going to continue being her life. It's what we'll see from her next year and the year after, and so on. No mystery, really. She even said in that most recent magazine interview that she has no intention of quitting—touring.

moviekinks.blogspot.com