View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
True. Although many of us forget that even during, say, the Tusk and Mirage tours, there was more than one extra guy playing something or other. Ray Lindsey, of course, playing rhythm guitar on Second Hand News, Gypsy, and Go Your Own Way. Jeff Sova played a tape of all that Dodger Stadium noise on Tusk and also played an Oberheim or something to simulate some brass (it didn’t sound like brass back then—it sounded like a synthesizer saw wave). Sova also played a synth pad on Hold Me in 1982. And Tony Todaro played drums on his own kit on Tusk in 1980—you could see him in silhouette playing behind Mick at the Hollywood Bowl.

But these guys didn’t swamp the show by any means, or detract any attention from the four main instrumentalists. So, yes, the nonsense started in 1987 with digital instrumentation. Remember Mick’s nonsense on World Turning that year with the Atari vest? I doubt he was triggering absolutely everything we heard—which sounded like a film soundtrack orchestra: swelling strings and brass, Mick’s digitized shouting, the percussive stuff from him tapping his vest, etc. Dan Garfield added all sorts of stuff offstage to most of the set, including Seven Wonders, Gold Dust Woman, Everywhere, and Little Lies. A few years afterward, he even sold his rig and modules on eBay.

This past year’s tour was ridiculous on that front. Weren’t there something like 14 people onstage? One of the reviews in the paper even called them out on it. It was certainly the first time that Fleetwood Mac ever played with two Hammond B3s live. Why on earth . . . ?! Why does any live outfit need two B3s?
I was going to mention that. I watched the Tusk doc last night, and was going to mention the CHEESY "horn" parts he was playing during Tusk. I'd call it more like a flute sound. Is that the best horn sound keys could get back then?

I was beginning to play keyboards by 1987, but I was POOR, and a Rhodes and some Korg synth(it's been so long now, I can't remember what model) was about the best I could afford. Wish I had that Rhodes now! I sold it for $100(I paid $400) to a friend. They're going for about 2K now.

Mick's Vesturbation was just about the dumbest thing the band ever did, live.

Really, I see the need for a second guitar and a second key player(or ONE that does both[Brett]).

Two B3's are needed, because they need someone who can actually still play one. Sorry, Christine is showing the effects of being a senior citizen.

As easy as it it to mock the 14 people on stage, the Eagles do it, too. Two non member key players, 4 horns, and an extra drummer. Extra guitar player, too, if you count Steuart as a non member. And I'm still leaving out Deacon and Vince Gill(but of course that's an unusual situation, because of Glenn's death).