View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
1) The decline started when they started scripting their concert sets (as mentioned in previous post), and ignoring tunes from pre-75; but, the Tusk tour kind of rekindled my spirit, since they kept tweaking their sets & mixing up the new tunes during that tour.

2) The long breaks between Fleetwood Mac albums in the 80s (either BE a band, or find people who WANT to be in the band)

3) Their diminishing talents (either drug or age induced) in the mid-late 80s

4) The invention of the internet & Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham message boards. They're good, but they're not the friggin' "geniuses" & "Goddesses" everyone fawns over...maybe back between 1975-80, yeah, but these days, for me, they're done. Basically, all the "Chiffonheads" & "Buckheads" have ruined ANY small bit of appreciation I had left for Buckingham, Nicks and any incarnation of Fleetwood Mac that they're members of. I think that stems from when Lindsey left in '87...they got great players to join (Rick & Billy), the two tours with them were both well received both by fans & critics. Then the 94/95 tour and the new lineup, once people understood that this was the NEW Fleetwood Mac lineup, seemed to like their approach...but then they released Time, which many people at the time who had bought it, LIKED IT; but, the then growing internet message boards started filling up with the incredible hatred for the album "Because it wasn't Lindsey or Stevie, how could it be Fleetwood Mac"...well, there was a Fleetwood Mac BEFORE them and obviously AFTER them....the narrow-minded attitudes combined with the overt fawning just turned me off toward both Stevie & Lindsey. I've grown to hate 'em both...and even the stuff I USED to like, I just loathe these days (due to over exposure, I think, more than anything).

Sure, I still have a few private moments when I can listen to TISL or the official GOS and get into them, but those moments are VERY FEW and VERY far between.
You made some great points ChiliD......I agree that the over exposure has done it for sure.....I haven't been a fan as long as you have but I totally get what your saying.....I didn't start getting into Mac/Stevie til '88 so I missed all the 70's stuff and Stevie early solo stuff. Heck in the 70's ...like '76 I'd have been only 9 yrs old (I'm 40 now) but I didn't know anything about music back than.....not like all these kids do today.....but even my 20 some yrs of fandom has went done now. Its not like it was when I started thats for sure. I guess its not the same...they aren't and well I'm not....I'll always love the music but I think with the disappoints in some areas....etc.....its hard to take it all anymore esp all the 'drama' that plays out....its all bs anymore....or a joke to me. Yeah, people say don't take it serious and well I don't think I do but than why all the bs and the drama play.....other than to get in the press I guess. Its like its so old news anymore......at least to me. With the Net & all they could do so much and put so much more 'new' and 'old' out in the valuets as well as pictures etc.....its a waste.....its recylce the old once again.....I could keep going...but I hear what your saying.....and the repeating in concerts thats whats keeping me away now (same with Stevie/solo) besides the high ticket prices etc.....the live concert thing just isn't as big of a deal as it used to be for me......your lucky to have seen them though back 'in the day' .......I didn't first see them til Mask...(Stevie solo SA/94)....I've seen Mac 3 times and Stevie 6 solo so I know what its like......life does go on as they say.....thanks for your insight though......
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."