Thread: Bare Trees...
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love, love, love this album. Poor Danny -- what a genius. His guitar playing, singing, and grasp of melody were topnotch. His only weakness was in writing lyrics. If he had teamed up to co-write songs with someone who could write great lyrics, he could have produced the greatest songs of the rock 'n' roll era.

He was never a blues musician. He played in a blues band when he joined Fleetwood Mac but it was his influence that guided them away from pure blues.

I have never had a problem with Christine's vocals on this album. "Homeward Bound," in particular, is a rocker, and she sings it with a rocker's voice. I love the song. Everything about it is perfect -- the piano, the guitar. I have wished a thousand times that Christine's piano continued to be featured this prominently in FM's later albums.

In response to the original post, I think the flute-like instrument on "The Ghost" is a type of organ. I think I have heard it was a melodeon, although now I can't remember where I learned that. By the way, the bass on that song is one of John McVie's finest moments.

I wish there could be a re-issue of this, with "Trinity" included, but it seems apparent no one is interested in re-issuing the Welch era albums. Too bad. There are some of us who like this era of the band the best.