View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Well if you count the Allmusic.com numbers it comes to 49 or so...which would make sense. Especially as it only lists 3 of the DBB albums!

Though here is a question John, do you have the compilation of Brunning Sunflower called Long Old Road? I didn't even know it existed, and the next question is, is there anything on there that isn't on the other albums. Oh and what the hell is Disc 3? Never heard of those songs. They are listed as being written by Hutto. I've heard of J.B. Hutto but is that him, and what does he have to do with Brunning Sunflower? Was Disc 3 a short tribute disc?

Thanks
Long Old Road was just a box set compilation of the Brunning Sunflower albums plus the JB Hutto album the Brunning Sunflower band played on as Hutto's backing band (Hipshakin' Live In London)

http://www.discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=389

As far as I know that's the only way (as of now) to get that album on CD and I found the Trojan 2fers of the Sunflower albums to be of better use than the ones included in this box so I kept the Hutto disc (since they are mini LP replicas) and sold the rest (the minimalist that I am).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
You couldn't get Mr Brunning to answer questions when he was alive, so we might have better luck now. Refer to the Q&A which he disappeared from part way through, or ask John about his dealings with him.

Nevertheless, his passing gives us a chance to reflect on his career...
Yes, I don't want to kick him on the way to the burial ground but the nicest way to say it is I just found it strange that in his books he seems to gleefully talk about his times to anyone that wants to hear about them but then when we did converse it was almost like he was annoyed. I mean, I understand he might feel embarrassed not remembering which songs he played on from some of the albums he's been on over the years but I never meant it that way, I didnt expect him to remember those details but just wanted to go through the process of asking him the question so I could then walk away knowing I asked and he doesn't remember you know so I wouldn't always think "maybe if I asked him he'd have recalled" and just found it odd he seemed to be really into talking about his musical travels not only in his books but the liner notes he'd do for CD reissues etc. yet it was as if you were asking him personal questions when just asking him about the recordings so I just found that to be a contradiction is all.

Still, like Chris says, we can look at his recorded works now with pride regarding the quality his body of work has (given he ended up being what might be referred to many as a "semi pro" music career next to his educational career).

John