View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Ok now here is a question of the Brunning fans. Both of you...

I knew I had read somewhere about the number of albums that Bob had released so I went looking back in the news section of this page (well the Penguin bit of this site) and found the following quote

"The grandfather gave up the life of a full-time bluesman to teach, but has been playing in various line-ups and has just recorded his 43rd album."

Now I was wondering how accurate that figure was...

So to my count:

1 x Five's Company album
1 x Cub Scout album - Songs For Your Enjoyment
3 x Fleetwood Mac albums (Live at the Marquee, Pious Bird of Good Omen and PG's FM) I know this is one bootleg and three tracks, but..
1 x Savoy Brown album (and that is really stretching the truth a bit)
2 x Tramp Albums
4 x Brunning Sunflower albums
8 x De Luxe Blues Band albums
3 x BB Blues Club Albums (although did he appear on all of them?)

That gives us a total of 23 albums.

We could stretch that further by mentioning the Rarities album, and even the Tramp 1974 album by Jo-Ann Kelly (which I think he was on some tracks). Admittedly Long Grey Mare pops up on a few albums but that would really be grasping at straws.

I know he guested on a couple of albums by Bob Hall as well although I don't know which ones, etc. I'm guessing he may have turned up on albums by Dave Kelly, Danny Adler, etc, although once again I'm guessing at that.

Even then, would that be classified as "recording" 43 albums.

That article and the "43 albums" has annoyed and niggled at me for 10 years. I guess now is as good a time as any to ask the question...
Yeah I think this is including compilations. Actually I bet it would total a lot more than 43 if you included every redundant release related to any recording he ever played on but my guess is they probably took that number from his allmusic.com "credits" listings which I'd guess looks roughly around 43 (but I never counted them) though there are a couple on there that were recorded by another Bob Brunning (John Stewart's Bullets In The Hour Glass, Rip Masters' Big Red '57, etc.).

I have seen write ups like this on other artists where they say "(so and so) has appeared on nearly 900 albums (etc.)" and this could be true for the Waddy Wachtel's of the world but the artists I was reading about (can't remember who now but will post if I do remember) were not session players by any stretch so I think it was safe to say in those cases they HAD to be including comps.

However please do let those of us interested know if you come across anything he played on (where the recordings in question have not already appeared in some form) and I'll do the same if I come across anything as well.

John