View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
To each their own indeed then.

I remember Stevie talking about how she couldn't do all the heavy lifting of the instruments on stage like the others do, like Lindsey and John do, and she was solidly deferential to them. She said she couldn't do what they do. She IS physically far far weaker and it'd be weird for anyone to pretend that she isn't.
She didn't say it like she couldn't physically do it. She said it like it's not something that a lady would do or would be asked to do. I'm not saying that she should be lugging equipment or not lugging it one way or another. I'm saying that I think she tends to assign gender labels herself, in a way that I think is itself a form of sexism. Well, gender labels to women. I've never heard her say anything about what men should do or expect them to fit into their more stereotypical roles, but I have seen her make comments that suggest women should do that in the past.

As for the floating goddess comment, it just sounded flaky to me. Still, I don't think it suggested that women who are not "princesses" should be discriminated against, however. In fact, I don't think she said that women deserve to be treated shabbily if they don't do this or that at all. She did not suggest that women have brought the differential treatment on themselves, in this latest comment.

Michele