View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
The rhythm section is definitely the MVP of Fleetwood Mac. And John may very well be the band's unsung hero. In addition to the already mentioned great examples...his bass line in Go Your Own Way is amazing. His input makes most of the songs what they are without being done in a way that the casual listener would even realize it. And in concert, I always want that bass line interlude in The Chain to go on for about 10 more bars.
Since my post, which included the comment about Lindsey's arrangement adding so much to Dreams, this thread has gone in a completely different direction. I was expecting certain people to attack me for saying Stevie is smart to take her time to write songs if she wants decent results. Instead, there have been quite a few worthwhile comments about how different band members contribute so much in their own ways, notably John McVie.

When I watch The Dance DVD it always annoys me now how Lindsey plays over the end of John's bass solo in The Chain. A Ledgie once pointed out that if you watch the Tango in the Night DVD, Billy actually lets John play for a bit longer than Lindsey did and we really get to enjoy the solo in its full glory. I'm not saying this just to Lindsey bash, but he did the same thing when I saw the Rumours 5 live in 2015. Very annoying.

I talked to a bass teacher about Dreams and he said it's quite a simple bassline (in his opinion) but yeah it's just beautiful in its simplicity.

The one bassline that stands out as not good is Gypsy. I watched a documentary where John plays the bass (or a section of it) for that song and it sounded so weird. Yet when he plays it with all the other instruments in the mix it sounds great! Sorry I don't have a link to the doco, it was quite interesting.