View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
I may be mistaken, but didn't Mick emphatically write in one of his books that Lindsey did not leave voluntarily in 1987, he was fired? (That was the same book in which I read Lindsey called the Goat Queen a "schizophrenic bitch", and things got ugly from there. Truth hurts ) I also recall a joke that John told Lindsey to leave, and Lindsey took it to mean he was being told to leave the band, whereas John was merely asking him to leave the house. Of course Mick may have been his mendacious self, and everyone seems to have revised history to say that Lindsey voluntarily left in 1987, but who knows with this band.
Lots of different takes floating around on that one. Mick's book (My Life and Adventures in Fleetwood Mac) wasn't published until 1990. But tons of articles from 1987 to 1989 painted a varying picture. Remember the Musician cover story by Timothy White in 1989? When Lindsey left the band in 1987, he specifically left because he finally decided he didn't want to tour. Unfortunately for everybody, he made that final decision after dates had been booked and the whole machine set into motion. Did Lindsey believe that the band would cancel the tour or find new blood and do the tour? I think it was the former. He was not expecting the addition of replacement members (replacements for him) until it happened. Earlier in the year, he knew that Burnette might join the touring band, but not as Lindsey's own replacement. In those days, you could say "I'm done with Fleetwood Mac," but not really mean it permanently.

moviekinks.blogspot.com