View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i thought it was interesting they were all using exact same words and phrasing as in CBS interview. it was like a play, played again and again.

they will do for sure they said:
  • Don't Dream it's Over (i never doubted that as they used it as a hook in CBS footage)
  • Don't Stop Draggin
  • Oh Well
  • World Turning
  • maybe Stand Back - if they need an uptempo song

first song they tried all together was Say You Love Me

Stevie kept insisting that Christine wrote Station Man. Christine said huh, that was Danny Kirwan. then Stevie kept insisting that Christine sings most of that song. Christine again says no. Stevie then continues talking over Christine (she kept doing that every time Christine would open her mouth), and says whatever.

Mick says something about he and Stevie having to talk John into voting with them, that they had tons of back and forth conversations, the 3 of them, and they reached the decision. Christine says she didn't know about it and was surprised when they told her, but whatever, life goes on, she fully understands when Mick explained it all to her. yes she had great time with Lindsey making an album and on the road most of last year, but whatever life goes on. (is she on tranquilizers?)

Mick was his a$$hole self. i won't comment on Stevie, i'll let people listen and draw their own conclusions. we've heard again all the stories about her and Lindsey opening for Janis in front of 15000 people and her being cleaning lady.

interesting change - the package deal story changed (ha!) - Stevie was telling the story, in about 3 different ways, and basically Mick called "us" and then Christine had to accept her, and if she didn't, Lindsey wouldn't be in the band either because, well, package deal. but she said at least 3 times that Mick invited "us". i had to laugh. that FM didn't want her but just Lindsey and he insisted she comes in with him too must really bother her.

oh yeah we've heard also how Stevie knows "everything" about all incarnations of FM, and then she tried to describe them (because remember, she listened to all their albums when Mick invited "them"), and it was painful to listen to, very similar to the Station Man thing.

again, Mick and Stevie blamed Lindsey for the years of the same setlists (apparently they don't understands there are old interviews by both of them insisting they have to do only hits), but hey now they are free to do all that great old blues stuff.

they need to rehearse at least 2 months because hey now - their setlist will be so fresh so they will need more than just 4-5 weeks they'd need if Lindsey was still there.

oh and Stevie and Lindsey were never married, but this is like a divorce. (same phrasing as CBS interview and what ended up written in RS).

a lot of what they said ended up in the RS article, and you already know it. but it was interesting to listen the tone of voices, Stevie talking over everybody, etc.

Neil Finn seemed cool. like interviewer said, Mike Campbell seemed disengaged.

John said one sentence, that Mick is going by the principle the band always must push on - never surrender!

RS interviewer said it was awkward interview. that he kept wanting to know about the guy not in the room, while he was faces with all these people, 6 of them, in some kind of small trailer. he said that Lindsey comes across as much less mercenary than the rest of these people.

both RS interviewers' commentary that book-ended actual band interview was the most interesting part, since the interview we can see on CBS and read in RS, mostly. they commented about that Stevie cover interview they did back in the middle of the OWTS tour. the interviewer at the time said that putting her on the cover alone without the band certainly wasn't his first choice, but he was (not clear by whom?) talked into it since she is the face of the band, and had her solo album out or something like that, and that Mick certainly was clearly pi**ed about it at the time.

about all i can remember right now.
my understanding of the Sirius interview, given that it is on the Rolling Stone channel, is that it is the actual recording of the interview out of which they wrote up the printed article.

So the recording lets you hear everything that was said, not just what they condensed into the written article. That would explain why certain parts are verbatim, because those are the parts pulled out for the written article.

But I'm fascinated by the bits left out. Thank you so much elle for reporting on that. I'm still working on getting to hear it for myself.

It seems like more than just people related to the band are checking what's been said about all this online, and perhaps (hopefully) are following up on the info they are seeing so SOMEBODY somewhere will write an insightful piece about the crap going on.

That said, a really good, meaningful article would need to have input from Lindsey's side to be balanced. I'm sure people are calling him relentlessly for interviews, comments, whatever. Initially in articles it was reported that calls to his agent were met with a comment to contact the band's management/PR. When they did contact the band's people, the band person said they hadn't figured out a way to get ahold of Lindsey. Circular nonsense.

There is more to be written about this. A good article would also be dependent on seeing how the tour actually turns out and whether people put their money where their mouth is or the tour sells out.