Thread: In the skies
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Responses

Blue Horizon:
As far as who played lead guitar on the various tracks it still remains a bit of a mystery to this day.

Ain't it the truth. This remains the great anomaly of much of the PG post-Mac era.

Blue Horizon:
I wonder if he or his brother Mike can still recall any details about those recordings?

Well there could be reasons why Mike prefers to keep things underplayed, at least in regard to the finer details.

greenmanastrat:
Wow thats really informative so its likely the deterioration in peters voice was due to coke abuse. I donīt think heīs done himself any favours over the years, maybe thats why he when interviewed he never tries to look for any sympathy.

I think you're onto something here. The coke may well have had something to do with this, or it could just be years of hard living catching up with him. Beyond his self-deprecating manner, I think you may be right again re his outlook on much of the sympathy that comes his way.

Your Beano vs Hard Road assessment is spot on too. The latter project shined best when Peter was more directly involved. Mayall & Clapton did do some nice things in their brief time together, that goes without saying.

kowk:
Martin Celmins states ( liner notes on CASTLE MUSIC edition from 2005 CMRCD 1116): "Snowy played lead on "Slabo Day" and rhythm guitar on other tracks".

I call bull. I know Celmins is a good writer and researcher, but that's Snowy there on a lot more of the lead lines than what's being cited or credited. Not sure why Celmins didn't dig a little deeper on this, or would leave it at that. White is a fantastic guitarist, and knew how to emulate the "Green sound" to boot. His playing style also happens to be similar to Green's to begin with, much as Doodyhead and others have noted elsewhere.

kowk:
There are some differences concerning composers of a few tracks.

I think the latter are probably more accurate, where other band members contribute to the songwriting. But like so many things in the Greenie orbit, getting the "facts" down can be a daunting task. Thanks for the input on that.

chriskisn:
Are you including the Splinter Group stuff in the "pretty damn dodgy" statement?

Curious, but what do you rate as Green's best production with Splinter Group, if you had to choose just one?

greenmanastrat:
I went to see him on his fist tour with the splinter group, broke my heart a little was in manchester in about 96. But there were moments, were the hairs on your neck would be raised by his playing.

That's the thing with PG in the post Mac era, it's largely hit and miss, both in the studio and on stage. When he shines, he shines. When he doesn't, he doesn't. In regards to the latter, at times it can be almost painful to watch. Then again, when he hits it just right, you're sailing above the clouds with him once again.