Thread: Sugar Daddy
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I had never really thought of them in those terms, but you're right. Tusk was too quirky(except for Think About Me) and Mirage and Tango too poppy.

The guitar hero lost his crown, or ar least threw it away.
I always give the minority opinion that few think about why Tusk destroyed the band (musically). It is not the obvious reason that the music writers point to that Tusk was not that commercially successful, etc.
It was the band's reaction to that criticism. They swung completely the other direction in making sure their next 2 albums were pure bubble gum pop. The irony is Tusk was standing up to the corporate record company machine yet that album made them become what they were not trying to be with Tusk.
I can only imagine how much better Mirage and Tango would have been without the pressure of having successful pop singles. IMHO, the track Smile At You was left off Mirage because it was an angry Stevie that rocked and it just did not fit with the music box of Mirage.
But yes, now that I pointed that out to you, you will notice that classic rock stations only program the White Album and Rumours into their tracklist. Fleetwood Mac is considered a classic rock band but only those 2 albums which is a shame. Every Eagles album is considered classic rock.